Getting to Roscoff-Nantes by plane
What are the air links for getting to the cycle route?
- For the Roscoff-Nantes section, Nantes is the nearest airport.
Nantes Airport is accessible from several cities in France (Paris, Lille, Bordeaux, Marseille, Montpellier, Toulouse, etc.) and in Europe (London, Brussels, Amsterdam, Geneva, Berlin, etc.). There are also connections from more distant locations.
See the list of cities and countries with air connections to Nantes.
Can I take my bike on the plane?
- Most airlines accept bicycles. Check their websites!
- Some airlines accept tandems, folding bikes, etc.
In order to prepare your equipment for safe transportation, we advise you to:
- remove or fold down the pedals
- remove the front wheel and secure it to the frame
- turn the handlebars and secure them parallel to the frame,
- place your bicycle, folding bike or tandem in a protective cover (cardboard or durable plastic).
What are the conditions of carriage for bicycles?
Good to know: each airline has its own conditions of carriage. The conditions for airline companies serving Nantes Airport from French cities are given below:
• Air Corsica
• Air France
- Price: a surcharge will be payable (each airline’s charges vary).
- Reservations: Some companies accept online reservations; others only accept reservations at the airport.
- Weight: depending on the airline, the bike must not exceed 23 kg / 32 kg / etc. in weight. Above this limit, an additional charge will be made.
Packaging: depending on the airline, and whether or not it is dismantled, you will have to pack your bike in a cardboard box or plastic carrier.
Good to know: boxes designed especially for bicycles (175 x 21.5 x 86 cm) are on sale at some airline check-in desks.
How to get to La Vélodyssée from the airport?
- The sign-posted cycle route goes through Nantes city centre. So you can join the route just 2.5kms away from the airport (see map).
- Warning: the roads around Nantes Airport are not adapted for bicycle traffic. At the present time, there is a 2 km stretch of road to travel before reaching the nearest cycle path.
- Airport shuttle services and buses do not accept bicycles.
Helpful hint: some taxis can carry bicycles. Ask for an estate car (‘un break’) when booking.
Airport/City Centre journey by taxi: €30 to €35 (guide price) + large luggage surcharge.
Where can I hire a bicycle or a trailer when I arrive?
Bike rental services are available at train stations and in the vicinity of tourist accommodation:
- Check out our interactive maps showing cycle route sections and stages