Getting to Royan-Hendaye by plane
What are the air links for getting to the cycle route?
2 airports serve the Nantes-Royan section of La Vélodyssée:
• La Rochelle airport
• Biarritz airport
La Rochelle Airport is accessible from several cities in France (Lyon et Ajaccio) and in Europe (Londres, Bruxelles, Genève, Dublin, Porto, ...).
See the list of cities and countries with air connections to La Rochelle.
Biarritz Airport is accessible from several cities in France (Paris, Lille, Marseille, Strasbourg, ...) and in Europe (Londres, Bruxelles, Genève, Dublin, ...).
See the list of cities and countries with air connections to Biarritz.
- Good to know: Bordeaux airport is less than 50 km route the Vélodyssée
Can I take my bike on the plane?
- Most airlines accept bicycles. Check their websites!
- Some airlines accept tandems, folding bikes, etc.
In order to prepare your equipment for safe transportation, we advise you to:
- remove or fold down the pedals
- remove the front wheel and secure it to the frame
- turn the handlebars and secure them parallel to the frame,
- place your bicycle, folding bike or tandem in a protective cover (cardboard or durable plastic).
What are the conditions of carriage for bicycles?
Good to know: each airline has its own conditions of carriage. The conditions for airline companies serving Nantes Airport from French cities are given below:
• Air France
- Price: a surcharge will be payable (each airline’s charges vary).
- Reservations: Some companies accept online reservations; others only accept reservations at the airport.
- Weight: depending on the airline, the bike must not exceed 23 kg / 32 kg / etc. in weight. Above this limit, an additional charge will be made.
Packaging: depending on the airline, and whether or not it is dismantled, you will have to pack your bike in a cardboard box or plastic carrier.
Good to know: boxes designed especially for bicycles (175 x 21.5 x 86 cm) are on sale at some airline check-in desks.
How to get to La Vélodyssée from La Rochelle airport?
A bike path connects the airport to downtown La Rochelle (in 8km5) , from which La Vélodyssée .
How to get to La Vélodyssée from Biarritz airport?
- The nearest starting point of La Vélodyssée is Biarritz train station to 2km5.
- There is no bike path to get there, feel free to use the streets less influence than the big road (see map) .
- Helpful hint: some taxis can carry bicycles. Ask for an estate car (‘un break’) when booking. You will certainly be asked for a large luggage surcharge.
Where can I hire a bicycle or a trailer when I arrive?
Bike rental services are available at train stations and in the vicinity of tourist accommodation:
- Check out our interactive maps showing cycle route sections and stages